Thursday, November 1, 2012

Alone in Bicol



The Majestic Mayon Volcano
Mysterious Mayon Volcano at dusk

What do i know about Bicol? Bicol is home to the perfect coned shape Mayon Volcano in Legaspi, Albay. Bicolanos are known for their spicy with coconut milk savored dishes. PNR runs from Manila to Bicol.. And that's it!!

So i planned my trip to go to Bicol alone because i want to experience how its like to go to places you've never been to ALONE.. Its interesting, thrilling and exciting to face the unknown; fact that you don't know what's waiting for you there. You just equipped yourself with knowledge you got from google (places to visit, how to get there, where to stay, etc.) and that's it. And the fact that you're all alone, somehow made me nervous. I have never been outside metro manila, which is my comfort zone, alone.

I came out with the idea of going to Bicol through PNR train; i don't know anyone who have tried it yet and all the fuzz i read from newspaper and internet about PNR modernizing their fleet, so its for me to find what its like. I called PNR Tutuban station, I asked available accommodations,  schedule, and fare. I planned Friday, and chose Reclining since I will be all alone better not to choose sleeper ( I don't like the idea of sharing a room with people I don't know; and also worrying about my things). The PNR help desk told me that they are not sure whether Reclining will be available for that Friday, so she adviced me to call again Friday morning --- geez that was so inconvenient. So I called again Friday morning and was told that reclining is available so I made the reservation.

PNR Tutuban Station

I went to Tutuban Station Friday night and paid for my ticket (647 pesos). The train arrived at 7 pm  and departed 7:45 pm. The train looks amazing, the reclining coaches, the sleeper coaches and most of all the toilets, I'm quite surprised that it didn't stink because I have this terrible experience with buses with toilets.  

I don't know if it's just me, but even the train is moving, you will not be out of balance by walking inside the train -- unlike MRT and LRT, you will definitely tumble down when the train is moving. Boredom is the downside of riding the train since it took me 13 hrs just to get to Ligao; so make sure you bring your laptops, or music players.

* for PNR Schedule and Fare table check: http://www.pnr.gov.ph/bicol_express.htm

Family Sleeper

Reclining Aircon




The train stopped over Sipocot, Camarines Sur; its dawn so I went outside and bought soybean jelly / curd (taho) for 5 pesos and then burn my lungs with cigar hahaha.. I noticed that there's a lot of well-off people that's patronizing train as a mode of transportation going to Bicol, ( with all the IPhones, IPads, ITouch and laptops there using, and even DLSRs used to get picture of the train). 

By the way, if you're worried about your safety, there are train police inside checking coaches and helping passengers loading and unloading their baggage.  Also remember to bring food since the train don't have a dining car. 

After hearing ALL the songs on my music player, train finally arrived at Ligao. There are tricycle and pedicab drivers waiting at the station. I asked first one of the locals there how to get to Legaspi and was adviced to ride pedicab for 10 pesos to main highway, from there you can take jeepney or bus going to Legaspi; I chose to ride jeepney for 40 pesos. It will take you 30mins from Ligao to Legaspi. 

DAY 1

I arrived at Legaspi, I noticed the E-Jeepney plying the streets of Legaspi and it's for free; last stop of the jeepney was at EMBARCADERO - which is a premier waterfront development in the Legazpi City harbor, loaded with restaurants and boutiques. You can feel the sea breeze and enjoy the view of Mayon Volcano while dining at Gerry's Grille , like the ones in SM Mall of Asia seaside restos. 






I checked in at Tourist Inn, because of its location. It's in the center of Legazpi City, so the accessibility of going to places and it's near LCC mall, public market, and Mercury drug was enticing. Room rates are very cheap, Non A/C room - 600 pesos per night, A/C room is 1200 pesos. There's also free WiFi at the lobby area. I will not waste money for fancy and expensive hotel just for sleeping since most of time I'm outside checking places. 

Tourist Inn






  • Address: 3rd floor V& O Building cor Quezon Ave and Lapu lapu st
  • Phone: (052)4806147






  • I became friends with one of the room boy there, Kuya Lito who gave me advises where to go and where best to dine in. He also told me about the future plans for Legaspi, to imitate  the Camsur Watersports Complex for wake boarding in Naga and the rising economic rivalry between Naga and Legaspi; he said that Legaspi best represents Bicol and not NAGA, whoooo, I felt the hate there.. I was adviced to try Graceland resto (it's their version of Goldilocks, with all the Filipino dishes and pastry sold there, I tried their PANGAT, Taro leaves cooked in coconut milk, it tasted satisfactorily) near St. Raphael Parish Church. I visited first  St. Raphael Parish Church, they have an altar table made of solid hardened lava carved from a single block.





    the altar made from lava rock.. AMAZING
    Their version of Goldilocks

    I did try the Bicol Special


    Since its raining that day, I just went to Legaspi Central Terminal to buy souvenirs and pasalubong. The terminal cater to buses going to Manila, Naga and Sorsogon.



    DAY 2

    It's a cloudy morning but at least it's not raining, so had my breakfast and coffee, then went to Legaspi Boulevard and Kapuntukan Hill.  








    looks like tits

    Daraga Church; I took jeep from city proper to Daraga for 20 pesos. I saw tourists there waiting for the SHY Mayon to reveal herself. Daraga church gives you unobstructed view of the Mayon Volcano. They set their camera already, and was waiting there for almost 4-6 hrs and still counting. I just waited for 30mins and left. I don't have all day to wait for the clouds to disappear, there's so much to see in Legaspi!








    a group of tourist waiting for the Mayon to reveal herself

    the SHY Mayon Volcano

    Daraga Church under renovation
    Next Stop,  Cagsawa Ruins; from Daraga I rode jeepney and asked the driver to drop me off at Cagsawa. I think I paid 10-20 pesos for that.
    Once you get there you need to ride a tricycle for 20pesos to get to the ruins then pay 10 pesos for the entrance but it's all worth it, finally I was able to see the famous Cagsawa ruins. The bell tower is whats left of the church after the Mayon erupted in 1814 that buried 1200 people inside.. There are tons of souvenir shops inside selling local delicacy and even plants collected from the Mayon. I'm just wondering, is it illegal to sell those? You can buy this specific orchid that have blue flowers that can only be found in Mayon for only 75pesos; I didn't buy since I was thinking that it might be illegal. Patronizing illegal commodities doesn't help the country in general.








    Cathedral of San Gregorio Magno; since its Sunday I went there for the mass and to take picture as well.






    Day 3

    Went to Legaspi Central Terminal buy T-shirts and bus ticket. T-shirts can be bought for 250-200 pesos, but I think if you have a good persuasive power you can lower the price to 180-160 pesos; and since I'm not in the mood that day, I didn't do so. 

    I bought my bus ticket for 550 pesos at Isarog bus lines. I think its more convenient to ride bus going to Legaspi instead of train, since it will just take you 10-11 hrs. You can also try using plane if you're in a hurry, airport is just near Lignon Hill. 

    Before I forget, its prohibited to smoke in public places in Legaspi, the fine is 500 pesos. Police visibility is high so if you are a smoker be cautious - I did smoke at the hotel premise only.












    1 comment:

    1. i'll be going to Legazpi this March too and solo. I really wanted to see Mayon Volcano. Hope you can share your itinerary. Bukod sa Tourist Inn, any suggestion of a cheap hostel? :)
      Thanks in advance!

      ReplyDelete