Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Manila Sight Seeing

Let me share with you guys the experience I had while visiting Manila's Landmarks.


This is part of my tour to National Museum. And since I'm already within the vicinity I visited some of Manila's most cherished landmarks.

My first stop was Quiapo Church, also known as Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene. This church houses the Black Nazarene. Thousands of devotees flock the church during the Feast of Black Nazarene during January 9. I went there Sunday and never expected that the devotion of Filipinos to the Black Nazarene was immensed. Even outside the church people gathered for the Mass. There's a big LCD screen outside so that even people from the outside can hear, witness and participate in the mass. 




If you're into fortune telling there were fortune tellers offering their services to share insights of what your future may bring. There were also vendors selling candles of different colors and forms; some were shaped like humans, I don't know what's that for. You can also check cheap electronic equipment being sold nearby Carriedo Street. 


After my visit to the National Museum, I took photos of the Manila City Hall's Clock tower. I think I have a great view from the National Museum's location. After taking some good shots, I went to Luneta Park to check the Lapu-Lapu's humongous statue in front of DOT's main office.  



While strolling Luneta a Kalesa driver suddenly approached me and offered me a Kalesa tour. He said Twenty pesos as what I've heard. He offered to tour me around Luneta then Roxas Boulevard. So I asked again how much he said "twenty hundred pesos", so I assumed it's 200 pesos. So I board the carriage and while strolling around he began telling stories about his children and how poor they were. I didn't mind him though since I was busy taking photos. We went to Intramuros and showed me Fort Santiago but since it's already past five I wasn't able to get inside. So we proceed to Palacio del Gobernador then Manila Cathedral. And since it's getting late and my stomach was grumbling I told him that we need to head back to Luneta. On my way back he told me to give the payment to his son who was onboard the kalesa as well, so  I asked him again how much was it, he told me it's "twenty hundred", so I clarified by saying "it's two hundred pesos right?" Then he told me that it's 2000 pesos! I was petrified with what I heard and told him that he told me before the tour that it's 200 php, that's when the commotion began. He brought me in a dark spot near Ayala bridge and I went down the carriage. I told him that 2k was too much and he was overcharging me. I showed him my wallet and all I have back then was just 500 php. He said that 1k will be ok and he seems pretty agitated and seems will use brute force to intimidate me to get what he wanted. By that moment I felt scared that he might stab me and just grab my things then left me there for dead, but I stood my ground and showed him that I'm not intimidated and I will fight my way out of this if needed. So after a few minutes of excruciating discussion, he gave up and agreed at 500 php. I told him that he needs to bring me first to SM Manila before he get his payment, so he agreed. Arriving at SM Manila I gave him the payment and I went inside the mall, from there I felt great relief. 

The Kalesa driver from behind, his kalesa was painted in red and yellow.

If he can do this to his own countrymen what more to foreign tourist? I'm not saying that all Kalesa Drivers in Luneta was just like him but it makes me sad that people like him gives a bad impression to tourist especially to foreigners.  Maybe this is one of the reason why Philippines lagged behind our ASEAN neighbors in terms of tourist arrivals. I forgot his name and wasn't able to get a photo of him, but hopefully this will serve as a caution to local and foreign tourists alike.


Plaza Santiago in front of Fort Santiago entrance

Manila Cathedral




Palacio del Gobernador now serves as COMELEC's head office


After having my dinner at SM Manila, I decided to go to Divisoria to check the newly-constructed Lucky China Town Mall. The developer did a terrific job on this, associating the architecture of the mall to the surrounding structures and the history of place.  Hopefully mall developers will do the same in associating indigenous designs to their structures. Kudos to the developer of Lucky China Town Mall which I believe is Megaworld. 










No comments:

Post a Comment